A day-to-day guide to creating an allotment garden from a starting point of absolutely no knowledge and no experience.

Saturday, February 05, 2005

We go to Wisley where they are holding a Vegetable Question Time with a panel of experts. Among the panel is a bloke who is an expert on seed potatoes and I intend to ask two questions: Why were my King Edwards so small this year? Was it because I didn't water them enough. If so can they recommend a better variety of maincrop to grow this year. My other question is about whether recently divided rhubarb can be eaten in the first year. Unfortunately, I don't get to ask either of my questions. Lots of OAPs beat me to it and in the end I get tired of waiting for my turn and when the questioning turns to how to grow Chinese artichokes I go and join the rest of my family. The plant centre is selling a huge variety of seed potatoes and I buy 3kg of Maris Bard earlies - the same variety that I grew so successfully last year. I then opt for two 3Kg bags of Sante variety for my maincrop. It says it is slug resistant and, although it is not drought resistant at least it is not susceptible to drought as King Edwards are. I'm hopeful this will mean bigger spuds this season. I now need to chit them out. Since doing this last year, my two boys are now sharing the loft room, so that leaves me Matt's old room as a chitting room. I just need to get hold of a lot of egg boxes. I'll start my hunt tomorrow.
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?