A day-to-day guide to creating an allotment garden from a starting point of absolutely no knowledge and no experience.

Sunday, January 09, 2005

My wife and I sit down and choose the crops we want to grow this season. Having said we would keep it simple, we actually go for a much wider variety of seeds - spinach, leek, brussel sprouts and drying beans to name but a few. I spend about £18 on the Organic Gardening Catalogue and begin to draw up plans for the coming months. I nip down to check that nobody has destroyed my plot in return for the stolen rhubarb. Needless to say they haven't.
Comments:
Hi Pat,

I've just started an allotment diary blog & had a look for some others. Yours is the first I've found. I haven't had a good search through the archive yet but it was really intersesting to have a look at the last few posts and get some ideas. I've been posting a few pictures with a short comment on each - including broad beans under bottle cloches. If you fancy a look you'll find it here:

http://surelythisisntinteresting.blogspot.com/

Yours looks fine without cloches - have you ever used them?

I thought I might put a link from my blog to yours, is this ok?

All the best for the current season,
Mike
 
Hi Pat,

Sorry I haven't replied sooner but we've been away in the lake District for the weekend and away from the internet for a couple of days. I was very pleased you liked the blog - it's great to get some feedback. My allotment may look tidy now everything has died down but it really got away from me a bit last Summer and there were weeds everywhere. I got my act together a bit in the Autumn
and am trying to be better prepared in advance of next season.

I will have had my allotment 10 years this Autumn, having done very little gardening beforehand. I still feel like it's as if I'm in another world down there. There's nothing like it for concentrating the mind when there are jobs to be done.

In the South you are probably a week or two ahead of us "up North" - I have family with an allotment in Hampshire and it is considerably milder down there.

I will copy this to your blog in case you don't see it here. I will put a link to you on my list asap and look forward to having a look at your archive,
All the best,
Mike
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?