A day-to-day guide to creating an allotment garden from a starting point of absolutely no knowledge and no experience.

Tuesday, December 21, 2004

My wife takes the children to see a pantomime in Epsom, leaving me free for a couple of hours to carry on with digging over and weeding the few remaining beds. It's another cold day so I pull on a woolly hat, my gardening gloves and crack on with digging. There are lots of brambles in this bed and they seem to be a lot easier to pull up in this weather. I am still not removing the roots but I dig down as far as I can and pull up as much as I can. I'm sure I have got up more than I did last year. I even manage to dig up most of the daffodils that popped up unexpectedly last year. After a couple of hours the bed is finished. I then tidy up, sweeping up the paths and trimming the grass verges.

The plot is now looking in pretty good shape


I had been planning to spread manure over the top of the two beds but there doesn't seem to be any left. It'll have to wait until January. I am also left with a pile of weeds and rubbish that has grown to a considerable size. A skip is due in late February. I will try and bag it all up over the coming months with a view to throwing it in the skip when it arrives. I go home a very happy bunny. A quick tour of the allotments shows that mine is one of those in the best of shape - by no means the best but at least it is ordered, clear in the main and has some over-wintering crops growing on it.
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?