A day-to-day guide to creating an allotment garden from a starting point of absolutely no knowledge and no experience.

Friday, November 05, 2004

A day off work coincides with a day without rain so I make the most of this God-given opportunity and head down to the plot. I dig over the carrot bed and weed among the parsnips. I then prepare the bed to the finest tilth I can manage and plant a double row of dwarf broad beans. As per usual with me, I'm not sure I've dug my trench deep enough but I cover the bean seeds and hope for the best. I also realise afterwards that I haven't improved the soil in any way since the carrot crop was in there so I'm not holding out much hope for these beans. We shall see. I then turn over the soil on the rest of the bed where the potatoes were and where the tomato plants were and broadcast some green manure seed - Hungarian grazing rye, like last year. It is a bit late in the season but if it grows, it will be a bonus.
I weed among the overwintering salad onions which are growing well and leave it at that. The first half of the plot is now looking much better - ordered and neat. It is the back half that is a real mess.
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?