A day-to-day guide to creating an allotment garden from a starting point of absolutely no knowledge and no experience.

Thursday, October 14, 2004

I want to go down to the plot and dump a load of manure over the ground where the potatoes have been, harvest the squashes and get some more carrots. However it teems down with rain all morning. In the afternoon it brightens up enough to take the kids down straight from school. I quickly cut off 11 squashes and then dig up some carrots - there are some real beauties.

Eleven squashes sit proudly on the draining board


I then pick some tomatoes that still look fine.

I am still getting some good tomatoes and carrots


My next plan is to turn over the earth where I intend to plant the onion sets. So I begin digging, but the boys get impatient and it looks like rain. I'm working all weekend so I won't be able to return until Monday. The plan then is to turn over the onion bed and plant all the sets and then put manure down over the remainder of the old potato bed. There is still a lot of work to do - the beds at the back are overrun with brambles again. What I need is a few dry days to coincide with my days off.
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?