A day-to-day guide to creating an allotment garden from a starting point of absolutely no knowledge and no experience.

Tuesday, October 19, 2004

A break in the weather means I get the chance to go down to the allotment and plant my overwintering onions. I have put some manure on the bed where the potatoes were and so I dig the earth over and get it to as fine a tilth as possible. It looks like rain so I crack on and plant the 150 onions I have bought - one packet of Senshyu Yellow, the type I planted last year, and two packets of Electric - a nice red type. As per usual, I have doubts over whether I have planted them properly - this year I worry that I have planted them to deep as opposed to last year's hurried pushing them into the earth. Well, we shall just have to see. At least I got them in. Ideally I would love to now get some green manure down and clear the last three beds of weeds. But we are going away for half-term so it is likely to be even more out of control before I get the chance to tackle it. I find it embarrassing that other plotholders will see my patch and tut and think "He's lost interest." I haven't, it's just finding the time that is proving to be a problem. I just need two good mornings' work and there will be a big improvement.
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?