A day-to-day guide to creating an allotment garden from a starting point of absolutely no knowledge and no experience.

Thursday, September 16, 2004

Today I get the chance to go down to the plot for three hours. The first job to tackle is the tomato plants. They have been hit by blight and so I cut off all the affected fruit and branches. It is a huge job and I soon have a large pile of pruned tomato plants next to me. I also weed among the plants and end up with a much slimmer but healthier-looking tomato bed. There are still quite a few tomatoes left - I pick about five ripe ones to take home.

After all the work, there are still a few tomatoes left


I then weed the potato mounds. I have already cut off all the haulms but I quickly weed out all the bindweed and thistles to make the bed look a bit better. I then do a bit of weeding in the carrot and parsnip bed. At the end of my efforts the first three beds in the plot look a lot better. I then feed the tomato plants and water the potato bed and the onion seeds. The next job to tackle is the strawberry bed. It needs a serious weeding but there are also a lot of runners that have produced new plants. On Saturday I hope to come down and cut the runners off and get a whole new set of strawberry plants. I pick some more spinach beet, which continues to thrive, and we have it for dinner along with some of the tomatoes.
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?