A day-to-day guide to creating an allotment garden from a starting point of absolutely no knowledge and no experience.

Saturday, September 18, 2004

The time has come to try and bring some order to the strawberry plants. The bed is a mess with loads of weeds and lots of strawberry plant runners that are already firmly established. I hijack a family outing to take in a garden centre where I buy 150 overwintering onions - Senshyu Yellow and Electric - a nice red-skinned variety. I also get some rooting gel and potting compost with the idea that I can pot on all the runners that I cut off the strawberry plants. Rain thwarts my plan to go down in the afternoon but it brightens up in the early evening so I go down to try and put in half-an-hour's work. The plants are in an unbelievable state having been neglected for so long. I cut back some of the foliage on the first three plants in the first row and pull up some of the runners and do some weeding. At the end of it I am left with a bin liner with about 30 new strawberry plants in it. At this rate I'll have about 200 new plants when I have finished taming the whole bed of 30 plants. When I get home I pot on about half of the new plants before the light fades sufficiently for me not to be able to see what I am doing. The rest of the plants will have to take their chances in a bin liner over night.
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?