A day-to-day guide to creating an allotment garden from a starting point of absolutely no knowledge and no experience.

Sunday, September 19, 2004

Despite an impending visit by some friends, I find the time to go down the plot and carry on with Operation Strawberry. While my two lads run around playing hide-and-seek I try to finish pruning and weeding the whole of the first row of 10 plants. It is a big job and takes me an hour-and-a-half. I now reject the smaller runners with undeveloped root systems as I have so many plants I am going to struggle to get them all in the greenhouse. I fill in the holes in my original row of 10 plants with two of the biggest of the plants produced by runners. The rest I take home to pot up. My plan is to put in another row of 10 plants at the plot so I have 40 in all, and then to have 20 in the greenhouse which would hopefully guarantee me a strawberry crop from May to July. When I finish the tidying, the first row of 10 looks a lot better - weeded and well-ordered. Just two more rows to go. I pot the remaining runners up in the greenhouse - I am already running out of room on the greenhouse staging. I imagine that quite a few of the younger plants will not survive the winter in the greenhouse. I hope so because otherwise, when I've finished the next 20 plants at the plot, the family might have to move out of the house to make way for the strawberry plants.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?