A day-to-day guide to creating an allotment garden from a starting point of absolutely no knowledge and no experience.

Saturday, August 07, 2004

Today is one of the hottest days of the year so far. I pop down to the plot in the late afternoon with my eldest son armed with a sprinkler, a pair of shears and the secateurs. I let Matthew spray water around while I try to crack on with some weeding. I pull up nettles, thistles and brambles from various beds where they have sprung up during my recent absence. One pathway is more-or-less completely covered by grass and weeds and I work hard to clear it. Unfortunately I also disturb an army of red ants which have caused me various agonies in the past. They swarm all over Matthew, causing him quite a bit anguish although luckily he doesn't get any bites. However, it curbs his enthusiasm for the allotment and we have to head home early. There's still quite a bit of weeding still to do.
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?