A day-to-day guide to creating an allotment garden from a starting point of absolutely no knowledge and no experience.

Saturday, August 28, 2004

Today I want to sow the spring onion seeds on the bed I manured yesterday. The whole family comes down and the boys amuse themselves while I dig in the manure and prepare the seed bed. I sow six short rows of the red salad onion which should be ready by March. I try to sow them as thinly as possible so I won't have to thin them. Once the main crop of potatoes are up the rest of this bed will be given over to overwintering onions - some Japanese ones again and some Keepwell.
While I was digging, Cath has been picking some tomatoes, spinach beet and French beans. Amazingly, we only sowed the French bean seeds seven weeks ago but now the beans are ready to pick. They look perfect - another success. We then decide to cut one of the squashes for the Sunday dinner and head for home with an impressive harvest.

Today's pickings are impressive - cobnut squash, French beans, spinach beet and tomatoes.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?