A day-to-day guide to creating an allotment garden from a starting point of absolutely no knowledge and no experience.

Thursday, July 22, 2004

During a day-trip to the beach at La Baule we walk past a paper shop and quickly scan the UK papers. The international Guardian has a feature on allotments so I tell my wife to buy it. We then go for a drink outside a bar and I read the article by Sally Weale. She explains how she has just got a "dirty plot" letter from her council because it is such a state. She says the only things she could grow were: "pumpkins, squash, courgettes and runner beans, which are virtually idiot-proof."
This did nothing for my own gardening self-esteem as I had been really pleased with the strong showing of our courgettes and squashes. But now it seems any idiot can grow those. I finish my beer and head back to the beach to enjoy the fun and try to forget about my allotment for another few days.
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?