A day-to-day guide to creating an allotment garden from a starting point of absolutely no knowledge and no experience.

Tuesday, June 01, 2004

I decide the time is right to plant out the tomato plants and the courgettes and squashes. I haven't hardened off the tomatoes but my neighbour Jim did the same and his soon recovered. My son Matthew wants to help so we load up the car boot and transport about 30 plants down to the plot. Armed with a tape measure, my guide book and some bamboo canes, I begin to measure out the two lines of tomatoes. I have enough for two rows on 10. I have two varieties of tomato - Summer Sweet and Money Maker. I get them in separate bits of the greenhouse but unfortunately, in the car journey, they become mixed up. I have no idea which is which but then decide it doesn't really matter. I follow the planting advice to the letter and, with my Matthew helping, we quickly end up with two fairly straight rows of 10 plants. We tie them up to bamboo canes and give them a good water. I have to say they look pretty pathetic compared to some of the other tomato plants on neighbouring plots - some of them are really small. But, fingers crossed, they will soon catch up.
We then turn our attention to the courgette and squash plants. I have been saving a bed at the back of the plot for them and have prepared the ground well - with lots of manure dug in. Unfortunately, I quickly realise I have made one big mistake. I planted the courgette seeds in plastic trays and it proves very difficult to get the plants out without damaging the roots. As my plant book says courgette plants do not like having their roots disturbed, this is worse than it seems. I lose quite a few plants in the unpacking process. Next year I will have to buy fibrous pots to get round this. Eventually I get about nine courgette plants in and dot the squash plants around the plot in any vacant corner. I give them a water and hope they will all make a good recovery from their rough handling.
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?