A day-to-day guide to creating an allotment garden from a starting point of absolutely no knowledge and no experience.

Friday, June 25, 2004

Another trip down to the plot to pick some more broad beans, lettuce and some carrots. Although I have never thinned out my rows of carrots, they have grown well and they are very tasty. It doesn't seem to make any difference that there might be five carrots intertwined - they separate out easily enough and taste just as nice. My neighbouring plot-holder, Jim, tells me he has started eating his early potatoes already, so my wife and I decide to give it a go. I dig up the first plant in the row and the fork brings up some huge tubers. I have never dug up a potato before in my life and am surprised by the amount of potatoes that come off one plant - and the size of some of the spuds. Even Jim is impressed. Two plants produces enough potatoes for the next couple of nights. I can't wait to taste them. We grab an onion to go with the other crops and dash home to eat our first ever home-grown potatoes.
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?