A day-to-day guide to creating an allotment garden from a starting point of absolutely no knowledge and no experience.

Sunday, May 16, 2004

The weather has been really hot recently so I take my sprinkler down to the plot in the early evening to give the crops, particularly the potatoes, a good watering. Because the weeds got me down yesterday, I also try to do something about them. While the sprinkler waters one end of the plot, I hoe vigorously between the onions and then do the same to the peas, beans, lettuce and strawberries. The end result is very impressive. The onion bed looks more-or-less tidy for the first time ever. I then tackle the carrot and parsnip bed. I was waiting to see if I could make out rows of parsnips but now decide that they haven't taken and hoe everything away apart from what I think are three rows of carrots. Once again, the results are satisfying. The crops also seem to appreciate a drop of water, and the plot looks in a much better state. While hoeing among the lettuces, I accidently broke off a few leaves of a Tom Thumb lettuce. I take it home with me and my wife Cath and I have a taste. And very nice it is too.
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?