A day-to-day guide to creating an allotment garden from a starting point of absolutely no knowledge and no experience.

Saturday, May 22, 2004

My parents-in-law arrive for the weekend. After they have recovered from their drive from Wales we go off to Wisley. I have a cunning plan. I want to have a gander at their kitchen garden to see what sort of shape it is in and how it compares to mine. We have a drink first and wander round some of the other gardens the fruit orchards etc. Then I get to see their allotment. I haven't seen it since winter when it was pretty empty apart from loads of squashes. It is in much better shape now - particularly the lettuces but surprisingly I am not too disheartened.
Although the plot at Wisley has no weeds, it isn't as far ahead of mine as I was expecting. Mine ain't bad. They have a line of parsnips growing. I take a photo to see if I can identify any parsnips growing among my weeds. We go straight from Wisley to see my plot and my father-in-law is actually quite impressed.
By comparing the photo of the parsnips I discover I have two rows growing where I sowed the seed - hidden among the weeds. I am well pleased. There is a pod on the pea plants which seems fat. We crack it open and there are five perfect peas sitting in there. We share them round and they taste delicious. We pull up one of the Korean lettuces to take home to have with our dinner. I am well-chuffed.

The Korean lettuces are ahead of their Tom Thumb counterparts

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?