A day-to-day guide to creating an allotment garden from a starting point of absolutely no knowledge and no experience.

Saturday, May 08, 2004

I nip down to the allotment in the evening. It has been raining almost solidly for two weeks now. I want to try and finish earthing up the spuds but get talking to a neighbouring plot holder. We chat about the progress we are making. We both took on our plots at the same time and have spurred each other on. If I have to be honest, I am slightly jealous as Jim's plot is looking a good deal better than mine, well tended, few weeds and with some home-made raised beds which look really smart.
Jim shows me a trick used by an old hand to make the task of earthing up easier. He has made a drill for his potatoes and then buried them in it, piling a little bit of earth over the top of each one but leaving the hills on each side. Now that the time has come to earth up, all he has to do is knock the hills into the drill and the job's done. Genius. I must remember that for next year. I haven't got much done this evening but I've learnt a good trick. I'll have to finish it off tomorrow.
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?