A day-to-day guide to creating an allotment garden from a starting point of absolutely no knowledge and no experience.

Saturday, April 10, 2004

It's been a few days since I last visited the plot but, in the meantime, my three rhubarb crowns have arrived along with my long-overdue 20 strawberry plants. I take them down to the plot and am surprised to see how many weeds have reappeared. Thistles have sprung up everywhere. I clear as much as I can and then stick in the 10 Cambridge strawberries and the 10 Elsanta plants. My wife then joins me and helps with the hoeing between the peas and beans and the onions. I then plant the three Champagne rhubarb crowns - which are pretty pathetic looking things I have to say. One of them has no green crown bit on it at all. I hope they perk up in the same way my first batch of strawberry plants did. I then try to get rid of more of the weeds between the onions - by no means easy as there are so many weeds intertwined with the onions and I don't want to risk damaging them. I need to come back and clear away the piles of weeds and sweep the paths. I am determined that my plot should look nice and be well kept.
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?