A day-to-day guide to creating an allotment garden from a starting point of absolutely no knowledge and no experience.

Wednesday, April 14, 2004

I take my two sons down to the plot just to have a look at how things are going. It is a hot day and we stop off to buy ice creams on the way. The allotments are as busy as I've ever seen them as it is the Easter holidays. My latest additions to the strawberry beds are struggling and the rhubarb crowns don't look great either. The ground is very dry and I ask one of the plot holders, who I think is on the management committee, when the water is coming back on. She tells me that the man with the key to turn the supply back on has gone on holiday and forgotten about his fellow plot holders. Meanwhile my plants are parched and I'm not sure what to do about it. The weeds don't seem to mind the lack of water. I pull as many up as I can and then head for home trying to work out how to get some water to my thirsty crops.
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?