A day-to-day guide to creating an allotment garden from a starting point of absolutely no knowledge and no experience.

Thursday, March 25, 2004

It hoses it down with rain all morning. I was gagging to get down to the plot and put the spuds in, but the rain does not let up. Later in the afternoon it brightens up and I go down with my son Matthew. Matt carries one tray of chitted potatoes all the way. I then do my best to prepare the ground and then hoe out a trench. The cloying ground is not ideal but I really want to get these potatoes in today. I fill one row and earth it up as the books say to do. Then I do another row and still have six potatoes over so I do a third short row. I then worry that I haven't earthed them up enough and run round tipping soil over the rows. I have doubts as to how the potatoes will fare in this earth - I didn't exactly prepare it properly - but then again I hardly did that with the onions and that's one of the crops that is doing the best. We head for home where I then begin worrying that I have earthed up too much. I really won't relax until I have a nice bucket full of new potatoes.

I hope I haven't overdone the earthing up of the potatoes

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?