A day-to-day guide to creating an allotment garden from a starting point of absolutely no knowledge and no experience.

Sunday, March 21, 2004

I haven't been down to the plot for quite a while so I get a pleasant surprise today - shoots of garlic have popped up above the ground. I have a close look and there is a bit of gap where I think the dodgy cloves were - but there is definitely a nice straight row of shoots coming through. Two other things are noticeable: the onions I planted last year are doing really well and the weeds are taking over. I get the hoe out and tackle the worst of the weeds round the broad beans and peas. Then I turn my attention to the bed with the onions in it. I hoe down some of the worst weeds but, as I only can only stay a little while, I make a note to come back next week and get rid of the rest. A quick check of the strawberries reveals they are thriving - I can't wait for the next 20 to arrive - soon surely. Then I dump two barrow-loads of manure over the patch where I intend to plant my early potatoes next week and leave it at that. There is plenty to do next week - dig the potato bed and the carrot and parsnip patch, plant the spuds, sow some carrot, parsnip and lettuce seeds and crack on with some major league weeding. I can't wait.
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?