A day-to-day guide to creating an allotment garden from a starting point of absolutely no knowledge and no experience.

Saturday, February 14, 2004

Valentines Day and what better way to celebrate than to go to the allotment and dig over another two metre stretch of my plot. As the HDRA has advised, I am trying to dig all the green manure in before the end of February. The way my spade bites into the earth and then lifts out a big clod of compacted ground is very satisfying - particularly when compared to September when I could not even make the smallest impression on the ground with my spade. An hour-and-a-half of digging is enough to turn over another 10-metre-squared patch. Only four more to do. I am still waiting for the rhubarb I ordered to arrive. But I spot eight of sow healthy plants on a neighbouring plot that is not in use. I have read that rhubarb needs to be divided every five years or so. Would it really be wrong to dig up two or three of these plants, divide them, put three back but then take the three offshoots and plant them on my plot? It is a moral dilemma I will have to toy with.
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?