A day-to-day guide to creating an allotment garden from a starting point of absolutely no knowledge and no experience.

Sunday, February 29, 2004

I take my two sons down to the allotment for a bit of exercise. With their wellies on they both enjoy running around and Nathan, who is nearly two, even tries a bit of digging - in between tasting clods of earth. I do a bit more digging but as I keep having to go and pick Nathan up off the ground, not too much. I have a chat with Jim, who has a plot near mine. He tells me that a couple who took on a plot just before Christmas and who had made a start on clearing a good bit of it, have just been told by the woman who owns the house that their plot backs on to, that it is actually hers. Jim says the couple took it well and cleared off. I can't believe it - what would I have done? I wouldn't have been best pleased, that's for sure. Apparently most of the plots behind the houses on Elm Road are rented by the householders. Most of them don't work them but just like to have that extra bit of land, so no-one else can do anything on them, I suppose.
After a bit of a chat, me, Matthew and a rather dirty looking Nathan head for home. I'll finish all the digging tomorrow.

My two boys try their best to help me with the digging


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?