A day-to-day guide to creating an allotment garden from a starting point of absolutely no knowledge and no experience.

Saturday, February 07, 2004

I am one of the first customers at the Malden and Coombe Horticultural Society's hut today. I buy seven kilos of seed potatoes - three kilos of Maris Bard for my earlies and four kilos of King Edwards for my main crop. I've never seen a seed potato before - they look just look like normal spuds. I also take the chance to have a look at my plot to see if the overnight winds have wrought any damage but am happy to see all my pea netting and canes still standing.
I decided to click on the members' only section of the HDRA website for the first time. I've been a member since October but have never felt the need before now. Wish I had. It has a "What to do in your garden" section and it is much more informative than any other site I've seen. Instead of merely telling me to wash my pots, it said I can plant garlic now if the soil is not too heavy, chop down my green manure before digging it in to allow the leaves to wilt. It also recommends giving the overwintering peas, beans and onions a boost by top-dressing them with chicken manure. It means I've got quite a few jobs to be getting on with. I also place my early seed potatoes in my youngest boy's bedroom in trays to allow them to chit out. I'm sure he won't mind sharing for the next few weeks.
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?