A day-to-day guide to creating an allotment garden from a starting point of absolutely no knowledge and no experience.

Sunday, January 04, 2004

I take a camera down to the plot to try and record some of the changes. I bought a book on allotment gardening and it recommended sowing broad beans in double rows - something I didn't do. I notice some of the other plot holders have sown broad beans - and of course they have sown double rows. My inferiority complex kicks in. The way I have sown my beans and peas means I'll probably be lucky to get a plateful. I'll have to make sure I don't make the same mistake in the spring.
Here is a photo showing how the plot looked when I took it over in August and then how it looks today.

On the left, my plot as it was when I first saw it, on the right as it is in Jan 2004


You can just see the top of the shed in the picture on the left and the roof of the greenhouse. The green stuff growing in the foreground of the picture on the right is the much talked about green manure. All-in-all, I think I haven't done a bad job.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?