A day-to-day guide to creating an allotment garden from a starting point of absolutely no knowledge and no experience.

Friday, December 19, 2003

Another early start down at the allotment sees me borrowing the rusty old wheelbarrow from a neighbouring plot and loading up barrow after barrowload of fresh horse manure. I dump about eight barrows in a pile down at the bottom of my plot - as a manure heap is said to be a good idea. I then start filling up one of my bins that already has some horse manure in it. A gardener from a few plots down called Graham comes and helps me lift the full barrows into the bin. He is a very nice chap but it makes me feel a bit self-conscious that I have taken too much manure. I settle for 16 barrow loads which leaves me with a big pile of manure and one compost bin nearly full of manure. It's been a good morning's work.

The morning's work leaves me with a substantial pile of manure.


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?