A day-to-day guide to creating an allotment garden from a starting point of absolutely no knowledge and no experience.

Sunday, November 02, 2003

Time is running out to buy seed from the Malden and Coombe Horticultural Association. If we buy through them we get about a 40% discount on seeds in the Dobies catalogue. My wife and I sit down and choose the varieties of strawberry, tomatoes, courgettes, squash, lettuce etc that we would like to grow next year. We drop the completed form round to one of association members houses - no money to pay at this stage - an additional bonus. My thoughts are now turning to improving the soil and planting some overwintering peas and broad beans. A trip to the garden centre is required.
We pop down to a big place on Fulham Palace Road and by some dwarf broad bean seeds - the variety is called Sutton, and some peas that can go in the ground now. I like the thought of filling up my beds now - whether things grow successfully or not. It will all help my learning experience - and the HDRA are very keen on not leaving the earth bare over the winter.
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?