A day-to-day guide to creating an allotment garden from a starting point of absolutely no knowledge and no experience.

Wednesday, November 12, 2003

My plan today is to go down and clear out and organise the shed a bit. I have just been chucking my tools in there up to now but there is loads of stuff in there left over by the previous holder Dave Tibble. The man who has the neighbouring plot keeps his spade in there. Although I warned him I would be putting new locks on this week, his spade is still in there. I have nipped down a few times to try and catch him but I haven't seen him yet. Hope he isn't too angry.

I'll admit that I am not a huge fan of creepy-crawlies. That makes this shed clear out a bit slower than it might take someone else. There are lots of cobwebs and lots of big old spiders. I take everything out and use a brush to sweep away cobwebs and make the spiders run off and hide. Mr Tibble has a reputation as being a bit of a hoarder among other plot holders but the shed is not too bad. Tools aside, there is a lawnmower, lots of containers full of screws, nuts and nails and some packets of seed. Some of these have rotted away but one is full of different varieties of runner bean seeds. Although I am not thinking of growing runner beans, I keep these as they could well come in useful. I fill up a bin bag full of rubbish and then re-arrange the tools. There are plenty of them, most of which leave me completely baffled as to their uses. I wipe everything down with an old rag, sweep the shed out and take the bag away. The last two jobs I want to do are to combine all the rotted down compost from three of the bins into one and then fill one up with leaves from my back garden to make leaf mould. I also want to prune back the blackberries growing up the fence at the back of my plot ready for next year. And then wait for my peas and beans to grow.


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?