A day-to-day guide to creating an allotment garden from a starting point of absolutely no knowledge and no experience.

Sunday, November 30, 2003

I take my four-year-old son Matthew down to the allotments to see if we can get our hands on some horse manure. Luckily for us, the allotment chairman Bryan Swabey is tending his plot and lends us his wheelbarrow and a couple of forks - one small enough for Matthew to use. We dig in and load up barrow after barrow of steaming manure. I dump quite a bit on the empty patch at the back of the plot and then put more in one of the compost bins. I think we loaded about eight barrows in all - Bryan very kindly helping load them up. I want to spread most of it on the bare bed and then leave the rest to rot down in the bins. My uncle has advised me against spreading it over the peas and beans because it would result in too much nitrogen being produced. But he did say I should keep a pile in a corner of the plot to line the trenches when I start planting potatoes. So I might nab a bit more when I come back on Wednesday.
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?