A day-to-day guide to creating an allotment garden from a starting point of absolutely no knowledge and no experience.

Saturday, November 15, 2003

I take a fork and a pair of secateurs down with me so I can get on with my last two remaining jobs. I haven't seen the plot for a few days and I'm happy to see more green manure coming through. It isn't going to cover the whole bed but it is certainly better than I hoped for. I prune back the blackberry branches - quite a severe pruning because they are in a terrible state. Then I climb into the compost bin that has the least compost in it and start digging it up and throwing it into the neighbouring bin. There is a lot of it and the bin I am throwing it in is filling up nicely with what looks to me like very good compost. I'm not sure when is the best time to put it down on the plot - I still have one bed where the earth needs improving. What I really need is a wheelbarrow, then I could fill it up and distribute the compost where it is needed. I think that's going to be top of my Christmas list. After an hour-and-a-half I call it a day. I go over to have a look at the onions and some of them seem to have shoots coming out of their tops - does that mean that they are growing despite my doubts? Next time I come down, the peas and broad beans should also be beginning to show through the earth. Roll on Thursday.
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?