A day-to-day guide to creating an allotment garden from a starting point of absolutely no knowledge and no experience.

Thursday, November 06, 2003

I go down in the morning with my power drill/screwdriver and take off the old hasps. The one I bought yesterday fits beautifully. I also prepare one of the beds for the pea and broad bean seeds, digging it over and breaking it up as much as possible. I put two bags of horse manure on the bed at the back that was under carpet in an attempt to get some goodness in.

In the afternoon I go back to the hardware shop and get another hasp and two padlocks. I fit them in the afternoon and then my whole family comes down to help me sow the peas and broad beans. The peas take up more room than I thought and I have to shove some of the broad bean seeds into a bit of ground that hasn't had the same level of preparation. It will be interesting to see if one does better than the other - that's if any of them grow at all. A Korean couple, who have a nearby plot, seemed to be looking at me in amazement as I planted the pea seeds - but that could just be my gardening paranoia. This means that all the bits of the allotment now have something growing in them - except the bed at the back which is still to be broken up fully.

The formerly-carpeted bit at the back of my plot next to the shed



Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?