A day-to-day guide to creating an allotment garden from a starting point of absolutely no knowledge and no experience.

Thursday, November 06, 2003

After a couple of days at work I am anxious to trot down to the allotments and see how things are progressing. A quick trip shows that the green manure my parents sowed in the main plot is coming through. It is a very satisfying moment as it is the first thing that I have planted at the plot that is actually growing. It is a bit scattered at the moment but I am hopeful more will come through. At least the bed will not be bare for the winter. The roots are also supposed to help break up the earth and when I dig the rye grass in in the spring, it should improve the quality of the soil. Thumbs-up all round I think.

One of my next moves is to replace the locks on the door of the shed. When I first took over the plot, I used a crowbar to get into the shed as the previous owner had moved on and not left the keys. Now it is time to replace the hasps and put new locks on. There are some quite valuable tools in there which the previous holder left for me and I would feel happier if they were safely under lock and key. A trip to the local hardware shop gives me the chance to buy a hasp that looks like it will do the job.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?