A day-to-day guide to creating an allotment garden from a starting point of absolutely no knowledge and no experience.

Thursday, October 30, 2003

My dad comes round to help me get on with the job of clearing the rubbish from the compost bins. One slight problem is that I have just bought a new car. My 10-year-old Fiat Punto would have been perfect for ferrying bags of rubbish to the dump but I am not so keen on using my new-ish Ford Focus. I guess I will have to bite the bullet because I can't see any way of persuading my dad to use his newer Jag. While he gets on with bagging up some of the rubbish I knock down the remainder of the compost pile from the old compost bins. There are a few brambles growing through it but work is fairly swift. I knock the old compost onto the neighbouring bed so that I have at least two bits of the allotment with fairly good soil. Once I've finished I go and help my dad empty the other compost bins. We decide to take all the contents out of one to check there is no more rubbish further down. As I am forking the contents out into the neighbouring bin, something moves and catches my eye. It is a bloody big rat which scampers round the sides of the box. My dad tries to spear it with a fork but it appears to be long gone. Fortunately the bagging up of rubbish is done. After lining my new car boot with a plastic sheet I take about six bags to the dump. Rain is forecast for the afternoon but I cover the remaining eight bags or so with bits of carpet in the hope of keeping the rain off and sparing my boot as much mess as possible.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?