A day-to-day guide to creating an allotment garden from a starting point of absolutely no knowledge and no experience.

Monday, October 13, 2003

My dad comes down to give me a hand sowing the green manure. He shows me the finer techniques of using a Dutch hoe and we prepare the ground. Then we broadcast the seed (scatter to my way of thinking) and cover it as best we can with earth and some bits of netting rescued from my compost bins. However, I then discover a hitch. Because I am terrible at maths, I have seriously miscalulated the amount of seed needed to cover the plot. I thought the largest segment of my allotment, which is 17m by 5m, was about 15m squared instead of the actual figure of 85. I have therfore broadcast much too thinly and have to dash home to order lots more seed. Hope it comes before the frosts.
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?