A day-to-day guide to creating an allotment garden from a starting point of absolutely no knowledge and no experience.

Wednesday, October 29, 2003

I have joined the Henry Doubleday Research Association - who promote the virtues of organic gardening. It was they who suggested the use of green manure and who are not advocates of digging over the earth and then leaving it bare. That suits me fine. As part of my membership, I get free entry into various gardens including RHS Wisley which isn't far from my home. As they have got an allotment garden there, I take my family along for an afternoon out. Obviously the allotment is pretty sparse but it still gives me a decent idea of what mine could look like - rows of lettuces, squashes, pumpkins, cabbages, brussels all catch the eye. I even have a quick poke around in their compost bins. They are much like mine except mine are full of rubbish - hopefully that will change over the next couple of days.
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?