A day-to-day guide to creating an allotment garden from a starting point of absolutely no knowledge and no experience.

Monday, September 22, 2003

I spend the morning continuing to clear the largest bit of my plot. A Korean man who has a plot near the entrance to the allotments comes over for a chat. He tells me about the plot, a few down from mine which is held by an elderly Korean couple (we are in New Malden don't forget - largest Korean community outside Korea.) It looks like a professionally run farm with lots of well-ordered crops. He takes me on a tour and I try out a few of the unusual vegetables and herbs they are growing. I am then given a bag of seed so I can grow some of these chive/spring onion type herbs. The Korean man then asked me about my plans. When I trotted out my usual response about turning all the earth over before the end of October so the weather can get at the soil, he told me it was much more advisable to get some crops in and therefore keep the weeds down, which he assured me would grow back quicker than I would believe. Maybe I should have a rethink. One thing is for sure, this is going to be a steep learning curve for me.
I now have only about four square metres left to clear of the main patch of the plot. I have got to work for the next four days so the progress will slow up - but I am very pleased with how it's gone so far.


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?