A day-to-day guide to creating an allotment garden from a starting point of absolutely no knowledge and no experience.

Tuesday, September 16, 2003

The cleared part of the plot is getting bigger and bigger. Now seems a good time to try and describe the plot I have taken on. In total it is 26m long by 5m across. At the start of the plot there are four wooden compost bins across the width of it, built by my predecessor from flotsom from the Thames. The plot then carries on for about 17m. Then there is an area, bordered by two paths made from paving stones, about two-and-a-half metres long, where the previous holder built four more compost bins. These were completely hidden by brambles when I first took the plot on. As they were largely dilapidated, I pulled them down but am still left with a few mounds of ancient compost to deal with. Then there is another area, once again about two-and-a-half metres long. It too was covered by brambles and once I chopped them down I found there was not too much growing underneath them. Then there is another stone path across the plot and then a little tall shed and one last area about two metres long by three metres wide. That's it, my little piece of the Elm Road allotments.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?