A day-to-day guide to creating an allotment garden from a starting point of absolutely no knowledge and no experience.

Monday, September 15, 2003

After three days away from the allotments I am keen to press on. Thanks to various conversations with other plot holders I am building up a clearer picture of the chap who had the plot before me. He owned about four plots as far as I can make out. He was a lock keeper on the Thames and made everything on his plots from material he fished out of the Thames - the shed on my half plot, the compost bins, posts for his runner beans etc etc. He also did not believe in buying seeds - rather letting one of his many crops go to seed and then used that for the following year's produce. Everyone tells me that he really looked after his plot - manured and composted it regularly and got a great deal out of it. His plot was one of the best kept and produced a wide variety of fruit and veg. This makes me determined to keep my half plot looking nice and ordered and to grow as many different crops as possible.


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?