A day-to-day guide to creating an allotment garden from a starting point of absolutely no knowledge and no experience.

Wednesday, September 10, 2003

After taking my eldest boy to school, I almost run down to the allotment with my mattock, keen to try it out. An old fellow at the gate comments that it looks impressive - I hope its looks are matched by its effectiveness. I needn't have worried. I put in two hours work and clear a good few square metres. The mattock makes short work of the covering grass, pulling up great big sods. Following advice from an uncle, I pile the sods upside down in a heap with the aim that they will rot down over the winter and provide me with an excellent source of compost. I go home feeling confident I will be able to clear the whole plot before the end of October - and so save myself a few hundred quid.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?