A day-to-day guide to creating an allotment garden from a starting point of absolutely no knowledge and no experience.

Tuesday, August 19, 2003

I have just agreed to rent a plot at my local allotments. I read an article in the local paper that there were plots going spare and thought I might as well give it a go. I am a very inexperienced gardener but quite keen after growing tomatoes in my greenhouse this summer for the first time.
The allotment association chairman, Brian Swabey, shows me round. I think a half-plot (25m long by 5m wide) should be a big enough challenge. Brian shows me one that is hugely overgrown with 6ft tall grass covering two-thirds of it and a mass of brambles at the back. But it's got a shed and some compost bins, although they are full of rubbish. I agree to take it on and so the first challenge is going to be clearing it.
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?